Former Ontario attorney general Michael Bryant speaks to reporters Tuesday after being charged in a cyclist's death. Bryant has since resigned as CEO of Invest Toronto. ((Mike Cassese/Reuters))

Former Ontario attorney general Michael Bryant announced his resignation as CEO of Invest Toronto on Wednesday, a day after criminal charges were laid against him in the death of a bicycle courier.

On Tuesday, Bryant was charged with criminal negligence causing death and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death after an alleged confrontation with Darcy Allan Sheppard on Monday night.

Sheppard, 33, died of head injuries after a car dragged him along a stretch of Toronto's Bloor Street.

As he offered his resignation Wednesday, Bryant said in a prepared statement he's not guilty of the accusations against him.

TIMELINE: Michael Bryant

Monday 9:45 p.m.: Michael Bryant becomes involved in an alleged altercation with cyclist Darcy Allan Sheppard, 33, while driving his Saab convertible on downtown Toronto's Bloor Street. Police say Sheppard then grabbed on to the side of Bryant's car as it drove off, fell and suffered fatal injuries.

Monday 11:30 p.m.: Bryant is taken into police custody.

Tuesday 2:20 p.m.: In a statement to reporters, Bryant expresses his "deepest condolences" to Sheppard's family but declines to discuss the incident and asks for his privacy. He also thanks those who contacted his family to offer their support.

Tuesday 2:30 p.m.:  Bryant is charged with criminal negligence causing death and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death.

Wednesday 1:10 p.m.: Toronto Mayor David Miller accepts Bryant's resignation as CEO of Invest Toronto, the city's business development agency.

"Let me be clear: I am innocent of the very serious accusations made against me," Bryant said in a letter to Mayor David Miller.

"I do not believe, however, that I can continue in this position on account of the circumstances of the past two days."

Bryant was appointed last May to head Invest Toronto, the city's new business development agency tasked with promoting the city to investors.

Miller issued his own statement a short time later, saying he accepts Bryant's resignation. He also called the events of Monday night "tragic and sad on many levels."

Police say Sheppard grabbed on to Bryant's car following an altercation. Witnesses say Bryant drove away with Sheppard hanging on to the side of the vehicle. The cyclist, who was on foot when he took hold of the car, then fell and suffered fatal injuries.

The convertible was later photographed parked nearby with its top down.

Sheppard's girlfriend says he was drinking the night he died. Police have said they responded to a call about Sheppard at the woman's apartment barely an hour before his death.

With files from The Canadian Press