A Brampton, Ont., courthouse reopened Monday, just three days after a man opened fire, wounded a policeman and was subsequently shot dead.

Peel Regional Police Const. Mike Klarenbeek was wounded Friday morning, after a man reportedly tried to pass security in the courthouse, before opening fire at about 11 a.m.

That man has since been identified as 45-year-old Charnjit "Sonny" Bassi of Brampton.

Charnjit "Sonny" Bassi

Charnjit Bassi, 45, of Brampton, has been identified by investigators as the man shot dead at the courthouse. (Peel Regional Police)

Bassi was killed in an interaction with police after he opened fire.

Chief Jennifer Evans told CBC News that she couldn’t say much about Friday’s incident, as it remains under investigation by Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit.

But Evans was clear about what she thought of her officer’s actions.

"Is Mike a hero? Absolutely," Evans said. "I think a lot of heroes were here on Friday."

Over the weekend, police reported that Klarenbeek had left the intensive care unit and was on the mend in hospital. There is no word yet on when he will be able to return to work.


Const. Mike Klarenbeek, shown in a photo released by Peel Regional Police, remains in hospital recovering from a gunshot wound. His family along with Peel Regional Police officers remain with him at his side. (Peel Regional Police)

The SIU probes all incidents involving police in which death or serious injury occur, or when allegations of sexual assault are raised.

On Monday, the SIU identified Bassi as the man shot dead by police.

Peel Regional Police released a photo of Bassi on Monday. The force is asking members of the public to come forward with any information they may have regarding a motive for the shooting.

Investigators are also looking for information about Bassi’s movements and activities in the final weeks of his life. Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 905-453-2121, ext. 3205.

With a report from the CBC's Charlsie Agro