Toronto paramedics transported a male in his 60s to hospital in life-threatening condition Monday after a fire broke out on the 11th floor of a residential highrise near Bloor Street West and Mountview Avenue.
Emergency personnel received the call around 10 a.m.
Fire crews saw smoke and flames from the 11th floor suite when they arrived, according to Toronto Fire Chief Matthew Pegg. They quickly made their way up to the unit and rescued one man inside.
Paramedics believe the man suffered smoke inhalation. Pegg said the man had been transferred to the Toronto General Hospital in critical condition.
The fire was contained to the one unit, but all residents did initially have to evacuate, Pegg said.
Abubakir Mdalal, 12, lives on the first floor of the building.
"I went outside, I saw the smoke coming out of the windows and the windows were so heated that they got popped," he said.
Most residents are now back in the apartment.
The Ontario Fire Marshal attended the scene and will investigate how the fire started, which is provincial protocol when there's a serious injury or a fatality.