3 people, pets rescued from Bloor-Lansdowne fire

A woman was sent to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and a number of pets were rescued from a house fire in the Bloor and Lansdowne area early Thursday.
3 people escaped a Toronto house fire, but several of their pets died. 1:29

A woman was sent to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and a number of pets were rescued from a house fire in the Bloor and Lansdowne area early Thursday.

It happened at a home on St. Helens Avenue at around 1 a.m.

Three people and a number of pets — including cats, turtles, gerbils and birds — were rescued from the home, though firefighters were unable to save several other animals inside.

It's believed the fire was started by a candle.

There were several fire alarms in the home, but none were working.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.