Toronto police have charged two men arrested Tuesday after a roadside stop in the downtown core led to the bomb squad being called in and an "incendiary device" detonated. 

Police said today that they allegedly found a "homemade-type pipe bomb" inside the vehicle and charged the men in connection with a string of fires that occurred between September and November of this year.

David Pereira

David Pereira, 36, of Toronto, appeared in a Toronto courtroom on Wednesday. He is facing multiple charges including arson and using explosives. ( Alex Tavshunsky)

On Tuesday Emergency Task Force officers were called to King Street West and Blue Jays Way after a Honda Civic was stopped by police at 3:30 a.m. and a device located inside a duffel bag. 

"It would have caused a lot of damage," Sgt. Jeff Zammit told CBC News on Tuesday.

Police said the stop was in connection to several alleged arson fires recently, including:

  • September 18, 2013, in the Liberty Street/Fraser Avenue area 
  • September 30, 203, in the Liberty Street/Fraser Avenue area
  • October 10, 2013, in the Old Weston Road/St Clair Avenue West area
  • October 9, 2013, in the Richmond Street West/Peter Street area
  • November 5, 2013, in the King Street/Brant Street area
Craig Stewart

Craig Stewart, 44, of Newmarket, was arrested downtown on Tuesday after a roadside stop during which police discovered a pipe bomb in a vehicle. (Alex Tavshunsky)

"We've had an ongoing investigation for the past several weeks in 14 and 52 Division, in regards to some buildings in the entertainment district area that we've had a few arsons at," Zammit said. 

David Pereira, 36, of Toronto, and Craig Stewart, 44, of Newmarket, Ont., are each facing charges of using an explosive, unlawful possession of explosives, possession of incendiary and five counts of arson damage to property

Stewart has also been charged with possession of an explosive substance contrary to a prohibition order and failure to comply with recognizance. 

Both of the accused were scheduled to appear in an Old City Hall courtroom on Wednesday morning.