2 CNE vendors closed for food safety violations
Bourbon Street Grill, Bao 360 Shanghai Express closed for remainder of fair
Just over a week after the cronut burger debacle — when more than 200 people became ill after eating the novelty food item — two food vendors at the CNE have been closed down for alleged food safety infractions.
The CNE and Toronto Public Health have closed the Bourbon Street Grill and Bao 360 Shanghai Express, two vendors operating out of the fair's food building. Both vendors are operated by the Innovated Restaurant Group.
Toronto Public Health issued two reports on the food stalls. Bourbon Street Grill is charged with failing to prevent gross unsanitary conditions, not properly washing hands, utensils and surfaces, and keeping and serving foods at room temperature.
Bao Shanghai is charged with the same temperature-related offences, as well as failing to ensure food is not contaminated.
Both booths will remain closed for the remainder of the CNE, which wraps up Monday.
The closures follow a week of bad news for the CNE.
Last week more than 200 people became ill with Staphylococcus aureus toxin after eating cronut burgers sold by CNE vendor Epic Burgers and Waffles.
The toxin was found in the maple bacon jam served with the burger and provided to the vendor by a local bakery. Epic Burgers and Waffles has since been allowed to reopen, although the cronut burger has been pulled from the menu.
Symptoms reported by people who ate the cronut burger included upset stomach, diarrhea, fever, vomiting, abdominal cramps and dehydration.
Despite the closures, CNE general manager Dave Bednar was upbeat. "The Canadian National Exhibition is still the safest place to have a meal in the GTA," he said immediately after announcing the latest food safety issues.