A man and a woman were found dead on Monday at a home in Nipigon.

On Monday afternoon, Nipigon Ontario Provincial Police, Nipigon Fire Service, and Superior North Emergency Medical Service responded to a report of two unresponsive adults located inside a house on First Street.

hi-policeline-03283680-4col

(CBC)

After emergency personnel arrived, Nipigon Fire Service determined that carbon monoxide was present in the home.

Once the house was considered safe to enter, two Nipigon residents — 60-year-old Yvan Gaujean and 45-year-old Claire Limag-Gaujean — were found dead inside.

An 8-year-old boy identified by police as the son of the deceased was found alive and was transported to hospital.

The OPP remains on the scene and is assisting the regional Coroner in the investigation into the incident.

Staff-Sergeant Randy Bye of the Nipigon detachment told CBC News that carbon monoxide is the suspected cause of death at this point.

Bye said source of the carbon monoxide has not been confirmed, but the furnace that heated the home was turned off as a result of the incident, pending the completion of the investigation.