A pot on a stove is believed to be the cause of a two-alarm fire on Walkover Street in Thunder Bay.

Around 9 a.m. on Friday, firefighters were called to an apartment building, where they found smoke coming from a third-floor window.

A platoon chief with Thunder Bay Fire Rescue said everybody got out of the building safely.

"A couple of the occupants attempted to put the fire out [and] they took a little bit of smoke,” he said.

“Paramedics are looking at them, but I don't think it's anything serious."

The fire appears to have started after a pot was left on the stove, he noted.

Damage was confined to the one apartment.

"They knocked [the fire] down fairly quickly and they managed to keep the fire contained to the kitchen area of the one apartment on the third floor,” he said. “They're just mopping things up now."

Fire officials also had to do some air quality checks before allowing occupants back into the building.