CBC News has learned a Thunder Bay police officer is suing the force, as well as former police chief Bob Herman and the police services board.

In a statement of claim filed in Superior Court, Toni Grann, along with her husband and children, asks for a combined total of $29 million.

Toni Grann

Thunder Bay Constable Toni Grann alleges criminal code charges of breach of trust that were brought against her were malicious. (Supplied)

The claim says Grann administered the Sex Offender Registry and was DNA administrator for city police between 2005 and 2010. She went on long-term disability in 2010.

The claim alleges criminal code charges of breach of trust that were brought against Grann were malicious. The document states they were part of a "conspiracy in the police service to harass and overwork" her so she would quit her job.

Grann was found not guilty on all 11 charges in 2012.

The statement says Grann's family was affected by the charges, and friendships were destroyed as her integrity was questioned.

According to the document, 13 counts against Grann under the Police Services Act have also been stayed, with no hearing date set.

None of the allegations in her claim have been proven in court.

A spokesperson for the Thunder Bay Police Service told CBC the force had no knowledge of the lawsuit.

A city official has declined to comment at this time.

Former chief Bob Herman could not be reached for comment.

Additional information from Grann’s claim:

  • Other officers named in the claim include Inspector Philip Levesque, Sergeant Susan Kaucharik, Inspector Sylvia Hauth. The claim noted Kaucharik was her supervisor, and Hauth was to relieve her workload.
  • Grann states Susan Kaucharik did not know the proper audit procedures for the position.
  • Grann’s workload was never eased, and when given more work to do in 2009, when she was assigned to be the False Alarm Coordinator, she claims she was told by Levesque to "do it anyway."
  • The allegations of breach of trust against Grann in 2010 allege: she improperly registered sex offenders, did not take photos and update information in registry, and did not require sex offenders to meet in person at the police station.
  • Once she was charged, Grann had to report to the police station twice a day, where she says she was humiliated and intimidated. The practice before that was to visit once a day.
  • Grann said she asked to check in at the Murillo detachment but her request was denied.