Parents of girl in wheelchair upset with Thunder Bay eatery
Family says wheelchair was not allowed in a section of the dining area
Posted: Mar 19, 2013 8:20 AM ET
Last Updated: Mar 19, 2013 9:51 AM ET
The parents of a Thunder Bay girl with cerebral palsy are upset with the operators of a local restaurant.
Patrick Rybar said the nine-year-old's wheelchair was not allowed in a section of the lunch bar at McKellar Confectionary.Nine-year-old Amy Rybar's parents say a Thunder Bay eatery wouldn't allow her wheelchair in a raised section of the dining area. (Supplied)
Rybar said when he took his two daughters to lunch last Friday, he was lifting the wheelchair up the stairs to a raised section of the dining area, when staff told him to stop.
"I just kinda looked in disbelief," he said. "It was just disbelief that they'd actually turn somebody down in a wheelchair."
George Kelos, the manager of the restaurant located on Arthur Street, said staff were concerned it was unsafe to take the wheelchair up the steps, and offered to serve the family on the lower level.George Kelos, manager of McKellar Confectionary in Thunder Bay, says staff had safety concerns about bringing the wheelchair up the steps. (Jeff Walters/CBC)
But Rybar said his daughter couldn't sit properly there, so he took his children and left.
"I was quite angry with [the restaurant] for upsetting my daughter."
Rybar said the family is notifying the Ontario Human Rights Commission.
"We're not looking for monetary [compensation] or anything like that," he said. "We just want ... to see more acceptance for people in her situation as well as herself."
Kelos told CBC News he does not want people to think they cannot enter his business in a wheelchair.
Latest Thunder Bay News Headlines
- First Nation 'will not accept' disrespect of sacred grounds
- The chief of Fort William First Nation says the community is upset by an act of destruction on Mount McKay in Thunder Bay. more »
- Inspectors check flooded homes at Fort William First Nation
- Fort William First Nation near Thunder Bay remained in a state of emergency on Wednesday as inspectors assessed the safety of flood-damaged homes. more »
- Maintenance workers' strike may halt elevators
- If a maintenance workers' strike continues, the agency regulating elevator safety in Ontario says it may need to shut down elevators for safety reasons. more »
- Downpour sets back last year's flooding repairs
- A Thunder Bay restoration company that was just about done with the repair work from last year's flood has been hindered by the long-weekend downpour. more »
Top News Headlines
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. Smich was charged today, after Dellen Millard of Toronto was also charged with first-degree murder. more »
- U.K. attack suspects were focus of past security probes
- WARNING: This story contains graphic content. Two men accused of butchering a British soldier had featured in previous investigations by security services, a British official said, as investigators tried to determine whether the men were part of a wider radical Islamic plot. more »
- Neil Macdonald: Harper no Obama when it comes to dealing with scandals
- Beset by three so-called scandals at the moment, Barack Obama has been meeting his accusers and the press head on, Neil Macdonald writes. The same cannot be said for how Stephen Harper operates. more »
- Rob Ford: Councillors, media want answers on crack issue
- Newspaper editorials and commentators are expressing frustration over Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's silence on allegations he was captured on video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine. more »