Tribunal says older drivers can be charged higher premiums
The Canadian Press
Posted: Feb 28, 2013 3:41 PM ET
Last Updated: Feb 28, 2013 5:03 PM ET
Denis Olorenshaw, shown above in his Toronto apartment, says that Ontario's Human Rights Tribunal has given the insurance industry license to charge elderly drivers higher rates. (Chris Young/Canadian Press)
Related
Related Stories
Auto insurance companies have the right to charge higher premiums for geriatric drivers given evidence they pose a higher crash risk, Ontario's Human Rights Tribunal has decided.
The elderly driver who brought the discrimination case says the industry now has licence to charge those over age 80 hundreds of dollars a year extra.
"I'm sorry for them, because they're going to pay more," Denis Olorenshaw said Thursday.
"There doesn't seem to be any fairness involved here."
Olorenshaw, 92, of Toronto, filed his complaint against Western Assurance Company in 2009 over an insurance quote that was $250 higher than one given his 62-year-old daughter. Both had an identical vehicle and lived at the same address.
He argued an alternative to charging higher premiums could be to assess risk based on distance driven given that many seniors only drive short distances during the day outside of peak hours. Such a system, he pointed out, is already available in Quebec and several U.S. states.
In his 14-page decision earlier this month, adjudicator David Muir said he saw no practical substitute to age for assessing risk. Sensory, motor co-ordination and cognitive decline is highly variable and unpredictable for older drivers, his decision states.
"The ability to predict future risk based on prior experience begins to decline after the age of 60 and becomes considerably less for those over 75 compared to any other group of non-novice drivers," Muir said.
"The evidence before me establishes that for the category of drivers over 80, the risk per kilometre driven is higher than any other category of driver over the age of 25."
The Supreme Court of Canada has long recognized the right to charge more for male drivers under 25 based on statistics showing they are simply more crash-prone. The ruling now seems to entrench a similar category for those over 80.
At the hearing in November, Western produced three experts, including Dr. Michael Gordon, a physician specializing in geriatric care.
"As we age, particularly after 75 years of age, there is an increasing incidence in the prevalence of impairments ... which can have a significant negative impact on the ability to drive safely," Muir cited Gordon as testifying.
An actuary for Western also testified the losses associated with over-80 drivers are "significantly higher" than any other category other than those under age 25.
In rejecting Olorenshaw's "common sense" suggestion that older drivers are more experienced, drive less and are more cautious, the adjudicator said no one had contradicted any of the expert evidence.
Olorenshaw, who argued the case himself and did not present any witnesses to buttress his arguments, said he can't afford to pursue the fight.
Share Tools
Latest Thunder Bay News Headlines
- Motorist tries to pick up girl waiting for bus
- Police in Thunder Bay are trying to track down a motorist who approached a girl on Thursday. more »
- Vote for your favourite Thunder Bay band in CBC's Searchlight competition
- Nearly 50 musical acts from across northwestern Ontario have taken part in CBC's Searchlight competition — and now, just 20 remain. more »
- Cataract surgery cancellations 'hurting patients'
- An organization representing Ontario eye doctors says funding cutbacks for cataract surgeries are short-sighted. more »
- Taxi drivers exempt from booster seat law
- Police and city bylaw enforcement officers don't typically look to see if small children are buckled up in a taxi. more »
Top News Headlines
- Egypt's politician skewer, testing the limits of post-revolution satire
- Meet Egypt's Jon Stewart, a former heart surgeon turned late-night TV host whose biting satire has not endeared him to the country's political class. But, as Nahlah Ayed reports, comedian Bassem Youssef may be the revolution's real star. more »
- Quebec papal contender 'ready' but wary of media spotlight
- Quebec Cardinal Marc Ouellet talks about his life and the possibility of becoming the next pope in an exclusive interview with CBC's Chief Correspondent Peter Mansbridge. more »
- B.C. Liberals emergency cabinet meeting underway
- Eighteen Liberal cabinet ministers have gathered to meet with Premier Christy Clark at an emergency cabinet meeting in Vancouver. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »

