Thunder Bay officials investigate 2nd vacant building fire
Posted: Feb 24, 2013 1:53 PM ET
Last Updated: Feb 24, 2013 3:37 PM ET
Thunder Bay Fire and Rescue officials are investigating the second vacant building fire in a south-side neighbourhood in less than a week.A view of the rear of the building at 112 Finlayson St., where the fire broke out on Saturday. (Nicole Ireland/CBC)
Firefighters battled a blaze at 112 Finlayson St., for about three hours on Saturday morning.
No one was living in the house.
Neighbour Gordon Rummerfield said he and his wife were sleeping and awoke to a loud noise.
A boarder in their home told them there was a fire across the street.
"The flames were about three (or) four feet high above the roof," Rummerfield said.
The house is just blocks away from a vacant Cumming Street apartment building that was consumed by fire on Feb. 17.
Thunder Bay Fire platoon chief Dan Hyvarinen told CBC he couldn't comment on whether or not officials suspect any connection between the two incidents, because both are currently under investigation.
Latest Thunder Bay News Headlines
- Strike delays elevator service in Thunder Bay
- A province-wide strike is causing longer waits for elevator service in Thunder Bay. Fourteen hundred Ontario members of the International Union of Elevator Constructors workers have been off the job since May 1. more »
- Neskantaga First Nation finds hope after suicide crisis
- Artwork created by young people in Neskantaga First Nation will soon be on display in Toronto as part of an effort to help the community recover from a suicide crisis. more »
- Anglers face shortage of minnows heading into long weekend
- Anglers in the Thunder Bay area may have trouble buying bait minnows this long weekend, because they are in short supply. more »
- Thunder Bay's Gateway in Minnesota closing down
- Four years after it was launched, an award-winning tourist promotion just over the U.S. border in Minnesota, is being closed down. more »
Top News Headlines
- Rescue attempt over for New Brunswick fishermen
- The rescue attempt for two missing fishermen has been called off in New Brunswick, hours after one body was found. more »
- Spectator killed at Edmonton Jeep event
- A 20-year-old woman died Saturday during an event for Jeep enthusiasts held in a parking lot just west of downtown Edmonton. more »
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield adjusts to 'earthling' life
- Canada's space ambassador, Chris Hadfield, is still readapting to life on this planet after spending 146 days in zero gravity as commander of the International Space Station. For now, though, he's taking his homecoming one step at a time. more »
- Winning ticket sold in Florida for $590M Powerball jackpot
- A lottery official says one winning ticket has been sold in Florida for a record Powerball jackpot of more than $590 million. more »