Thunder Bay city council decides on events centre tonight
Posted: Nov 26, 2012 10:47 AM ET
Last Updated: Nov 26, 2012 10:26 AM ET
With plenty of public opinion and a consultant’s report to consider, Thunder Bay city council is expected to decide Monday night where the city’s events centre will go.
But even if the project’s location is approved — the consultants recommend a north core waterfront location — there's a lot more to be done before any concrete can be poured.
Councillors are expected to approve the phase two consultant’s report that says the multiplex should get built where the Water Street bus terminal is currently located.
The report also provides a framework of the economic impact, construction and operating costs for the facility.Thunder Bay city manager Tim Commisso (CBC)
City Manager Tim Commisso said phase three will be the next step and will provide a more detailed business plan, look for support from the private sector, and possibly figure out what to do with the Fort William Gardens.
"The reality of it is you don't get to the point of actually making proposals to the government until you've got a lot of the questions answered, and you know where you're going,” Commisso said.
It will be the fall of 2013 before that number-crunching phase is complete and the next report is due.
Construction of the multiplex itself is slated to happen between September of 2014 and August of 2016.
Latest Thunder Bay News Headlines
- Maintenance workers' strike may halt elevators
- If a maintenance workers' strike continues, the agency regulating elevator safety in Ontario says it may need to shut down elevators for safety reasons. more »
- Downpour sets back last year's flooding repairs
- A Thunder Bay restoration company that was just about done with the repair work from last year's flood has been hindered by the long-weekend downpour. more »
- First Nations activist receives international peace prize
- An activist from Grassy Narrows is getting international recognition. more »
- Man admits to removing dead bear's paws, head
- The mystery surrounding a bear carcass that was found without its head and paws earlier this month has been solved. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- 2 infants confirmed among dead of Oklahoma tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of 10 children. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Senators' Alfredsson on defeating Penguins: 'Probably not'
- The Pittsburgh Penguins scored four times in the third period and six unanswered goals in all to blow out the Ottawa Senators 7-3 and take a 3-1 lead in their Eastern Conference semi-final series. more »