SUV left running as family flies to Florida
Posted: Nov 30, 2011 3:12 PM ET
Last Updated: Nov 30, 2011 3:09 PM ET
Thunder Bay Airport officials and security staff were on heightened alert for awhile Wednesday morning when a high-end sport utility vehicle was left with its engine running outside the airport terminal. The problem was they couldn't locate the driver.
“An abandoned vehicle in front of the terminal building raises some significant security concerns given that there is a history of that being a threat to airports,” said Scott McFadden, airport CEO.
McFadden said the SUV was eventually traced to a family that had left at the crack of dawn on a Westjet flight, headed for Orlando, Fla.
"I guess we've seen that people can become a little flustered and maybe short of time when they arrive at the airport,” McFadden said. “It leaves people to make some odd decisions from time to time … but this is definitely a new one for us. I've never seen anything like this before.”
When the family comes back from Florida, they'll find a parking ticket on the windshield of that SUV.
Latest Thunder Bay News Headlines
- Elevator workers picket courthouse construction
- Picketing elevator maintenance workers greeted crews heading in to work at the new courthouse in Thunder Bay on Friday morning. more »
- Drones could help fight forest fires
- Unmanned planes could soon be helping fight forest fires in the northwest if a Lakehead University professor's research pans out. more »
- Stranded campers get out of park on temporary road
- Campers and staff at Sleeping Giant Provincial Park made it out of the park last night. more »
- First Nations hit hard by 'suicide contagion'
- A Sudbury clinical psychologist says young people are more likely to consider suicide if they know of someone their age who has taken their own life. more »
Top News Headlines
- Royal Bank pledges not to outsource jobs for cash savings
- Neil Macdonald: How serious is Obama about curbing the drone surge?
- Washington police blame bridge collapse on Alberta trucker
- Man accused of killing child in patio crash granted bail