A home in Thunder Bay's Northwood area suffered extensive smoke damage Friday night, after rags being used in a basement refinishing project spontaneously combusted.

A man arrived to his home on Park Row to find a fire in his basement and called 9-11. Three fire trucks and 14 firefighters arrived at the home and quickly extinguished the small fire.

No one was home at the time of the fire, and no one was hurt.

In a media release, the fire service said the home did not sustain structural damage. 

No estimate on the extent of the smoke damage was provided.