Not everyone in Canada gets a holiday on the first Monday of August, but for residents in Thunder Bay and the region, Ontario does celebrate the Civic Holiday.
Some communities take the opportunity to hold a special weekend under a different name. It's the Blueberry Blast Festival in Nipigon, Dragfest in Terrace Bay and some people call it the Festa weekend in Thunder Bay because the annual Festa Italiana is held every year at this time.
Because this August holiday isn't a statutory holiday, many large businesses are open, though some have Sunday hours.
- Inter City Mall
- Safeway, Metro, Superstore and George's Market
- Canadian Tire
- Post office and mail delivery
- Thunder Bay Public Library: all branches
- Victoriaville Mall
- Renco and Westfort Foods
Just for Fun
- Festa Italiana in Thunder Bay starts at noon on Sunday and Monday. Showcasing the Italian community, the activities take place at the Italian Cultural Centre on Algoma with food, entertainment and fireworks.
- The Blueberry Blast Festival in Nipigon will have everything from games to dragon boat races to cook-offs.
- Dragfest:Terrace Bay's 15th annual Dragfest takes place at the airport Aug. 2-4.
- Nakina will wrap up its 90th Anniversary weekend celebrations with a brunch and closing ceremonies on Monday.