Chlorine gas forces Canada Games Complex evacuation
Thunder Bay Fire and Rescue say one person taken to hospital; operations back to normal
The Canada Games Complex is back to normal operations on Sunday after a release of chlorine gas forced an evacuation on Saturday evening.
Thunder Bay Fire and Rescue sent its Hazardous Materials Response team to the complex at about 8:15 p.m. on Saturday.
In a news release issued Sunday, fire officials said the complex had to be evacuated and some people were temporarily sheltered in the Port Arthur arena.
They said a staff member at the complex had improperly mixed chemicals, resulting in the chlorine gas release. It took fire personnel more than five hours to safely remove the chemicals.
Thunder Bay Fire and Rescue said one Canada Games Complex employee was taken to hospital with inhalation injuries.
No information on his condition was available on Sunday afternoon.