New animated video reveals how Elliot Lake mall collapsed
YouTube video explains Algo Centre mall roof cave-in
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 4:22 PM ET
Last Updated: Mar 21, 2013 7:08 PM ET
A video has been posted on YouTube showing a forensic engineering explanation of how the Algo Centre mall collapsed in Elliot Lake, Ont., last June.
The animated computer-generated video takes you over, around and into the mall as a voiceover explains how it collapsed. Actual video of a parked vehicle falling into the collapsing mall is incorporated into the computer-generated version at the 1:26 mark in the video.
The video was introduced on Wednesday as evidence at the public inquiry into the mall collapse.
The public inquiry came to a standstill earlier this month after a new document surfaced that revealed more about the possible cause of the collapse.
A 700-page report obtained by lawyers at the inquiry outlines in extensive detail what likely caused the roof to cave in. The NORR report — named after the company hired by the Ontario Provincial Police to conduct the forensic investigation — reviews and analyzes the history of the mall, its key players in decision-making and the mall’s structural failures
The mall collapsed on June 23, 2012, claiming the lives of two women and injuring several other people.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Councillor's ward cited as unhealthiest in Sudbury
- A Sudbury city councillor said Friday he was stunned to learn his ward is one of the most unhealthy areas in Greater Sudbury. more »
- Possibility of cancelling Algo's rooftop parking raised at inquiry
- Testimony at the public inquiry into the fatal collapse of the Algo Centre Mall in Elliot Lake has raised questions about whether the owner of the mall was concerned enough about the structure to cancel rooftop parking. more »
- Agnico-Eagle worker found alive after blizzard
- A worker missing from Agnico-Eagle's Meliadine camp near Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, was found alive late Thursday night, after weathering a potentially record-breaking blizzard. more »
- LCBO strike threat off after deal reached
- The prospect of a Victoria Day weekend liquor store strike in Ontario has been taken off the shelf after a deal was reached late Thursday night between the LCBO and its unionized workers. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Remains found on murder suspect Millard's Ontario farm
- Police searching the farm that belonged to Dellen Millard, the 27-year-old suspect charged with first-degree murder in the death of Ancaster, Ont., man Tim Bosma, have found more remains on the property. more »
- Jeep driver apologizes after stunt kills Edmonton woman
- A man claiming to be the driver of a Jeep that struck and killed a spectator at a charity event in Edmonton says he is sorry for what happened. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician Zahra Shahid shot dead
- Voting in Karachi goes ahead a day after gunmen killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »