Sudbury woman may renew fight after senior home homicide
Sandra Croteau's brother was beaten to death by his roommates at a Sudbury nursing home
Posted: Mar 15, 2013 3:29 PM ET
Last Updated: Mar 15, 2013 3:23 PM ET
In the wake of a violent beating death of an elderly woman at a senior's home in Toronto this week, a Sudbury woman says she may take up the cause for change again.
Sandra Croteau's 59-year-old brother Keith was beaten to death at York Extendicare in Sudbury in 2007.
Just like in Toronto this week, there were questions about staffing in her brother's case, Croteau said.
But after countless letters to politicians with requests for policy changes and more funding, she said she'd given up.
“When I saw on the news yesterday about this latest one there in Toronto, I thought, 'Well, there's a new premier. Maybe I should start again, send some letters, start again',” Croteau said. “Maybe she'll make some changes."
Others are calling for changes in the aftermath of the Toronto death. The union representing workers at Ontario nursing homes has called for a legislative overhaul to improve staffing.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Councillor's ward cited as unhealthiest in Sudbury
- A Sudbury city councillor said Friday he was stunned to learn his ward is one of the most unhealthy areas in Greater Sudbury. more »
- Possibility of cancelling Algo's rooftop parking raised at inquiry
- Testimony at the public inquiry into the fatal collapse of the Algo Centre Mall in Elliot Lake has raised questions about whether the owner of the mall was concerned enough about the structure to cancel rooftop parking. more »
- Agnico-Eagle worker found alive after blizzard
- A worker missing from Agnico-Eagle's Meliadine camp near Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, was found alive late Thursday night, after weathering a potentially record-breaking blizzard. more »
- LCBO strike threat off after deal reached
- The prospect of a Victoria Day weekend liquor store strike in Ontario has been taken off the shelf after a deal was reached late Thursday night between the LCBO and its unionized workers. more »
Top News Headlines
- Rescue attempt over for New Brunswick fishermen
- The rescue attempt for two missing fishermen has been called off in New Brunswick, hours after one body was found. more »
- Spectator killed at Edmonton Jeep event
- A 20-year-old woman died Saturday during an event for Jeep enthusiasts held in a parking lot just west of downtown Edmonton. more »
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield adjusts to 'earthling' life
- Canada's space ambassador, Chris Hadfield, is still readapting to life on this planet after spending 146 days in zero gravity as commander of the International Space Station. For now, though, he's taking his homecoming one step at a time. more »
- Winning ticket sold in Florida for $590M Powerball jackpot
- A lottery official says one winning ticket has been sold in Florida for a record Powerball jackpot of more than $590 million. more »