USW Local 2020 votes on 'fair deal' with Xstrata
Posted: Mar 1, 2013 2:46 PM ET
Last Updated: Mar 1, 2013 2:33 PM ET
A union staff representative says he expects a recent deal cut between members of United Steelworkers Local 2020 and Xstrata Nickel in Sudbury will be approved at a Friday night vote.
The union’s contract expired Thursday night at midnight, and negotations ran until early Friday morning.
"We feel confident … it's a fair deal for all members,” Marc Ayotte said. “So we expect the deal to be ratified."
The union represents more than 200 clerical, office and technical workers. Ayotte said more details will be released after the vote.
Xstrata Nickel vice president Marc Boissonneault issued a statement saying the company is pleased with the outcome of the negotiations.
Xstrata also reached a deal last month with Canadian Auto Workers Mine Mill local 598.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Male pedestrian dies in New Sudbury truck crash
- One man is dead after being struck by a truck in New Sudbury. more »
- Michipicoten River watershed under flood warning
- The Ministry of Natural Resources issued a flood warning Tuesday afternoon for the Michipicoten River watershed, near White River and Wawa. more »
- Sudburians gathering input on ideal bicycle stands
- The City of Greater Sudbury is searching for the perfect bike rack. more »
- Noëlville pedestrian dies following weekend collision
- A 47-year-old man from southern Ontario has been charged with careless driving after provincial police say he hit a 79-year-old woman with his vehicle. more »
Top News Headlines
- Kids from levelled Oklahoma schools recount deadly tornado
- Deadly Oklahoma tornado confirmed as most powerful type
- Senate debates expense audits amid greater scrutiny
- Only 1 set of human remains found at Millard farm, police say
- Rob Ford faces more calls to address crack allegations