Casino delays frustrate Sudbury developer
Sudbury developer wants city to take charge
Posted: Feb 7, 2013 8:48 AM ET
Last Updated: Feb 7, 2013 11:15 AM ET
As the province takes its time to select who it wants to run the gambling side of an up-and-coming casino in Sudbury, some developers in the city feel like they’re being forced to play a waiting game.
Casinos are very noisy places but, so far, the process to plan a new one for Sudbury has been pretty quiet — too quiet for some.
"We're kind of taken aback by how little has been done,” said the Citadel Group’s Richard Diotte, one of the only Sudbury developers to come out and announce plans for a casino complex.
Diotte is surprised that no one followed his company's lead.
"We came out with our [plans] with the expectation that we would be the benchmark and they would measure everyone else's against ours,” he said.
“But so far, we're the only ones out."
Other interested land owners are staying out of the public eye, waiting for the province to select the casino operator in the next few months. That company will then decide where the casino will go.
‘Take the lead’
But Diotte — who is proposing a casino, hotel and convention centre complex for his downtown lot off Elm Street — wants the city to take charge.
"I'm hoping that the city is going to take the lead in this and say, as a community, ‘this is what we expect to get’."
The owners of the downtown Rainbow Centre Mall said months ago they were preparing a casino proposal, but did not respond to interview requests for this story.
Sudbury Downs owner Pat MacIsaac said the best spot for gambling in the city is where it is now — at his Azilda racetrack. He also said Sudbury is likely too small for a resort-style casino with an attached hotel and conference centre.
But Paul Burns from the Canadian Gaming Association said many operators are looking to build entertainment destinations, even in smaller markets.
"It's the clear that the gaming industry is growing, shall we say, off the gaming floor,” he said.
Elsewhere in the country there are many casinos attached to theatres, shopping malls and hockey arenas, Burns added.
The debate over where to put a new casino in Sudbury has been going for about eight months.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Councillor's ward cited as unhealthiest in Sudbury
- A Sudbury city councillor said Friday he was stunned to learn his ward is one of the most unhealthy areas in Greater Sudbury. more »
- Possibility of cancelling Algo's rooftop parking raised at inquiry
- Testimony at the public inquiry into the fatal collapse of the Algo Centre Mall in Elliot Lake has raised questions about whether the owner of the mall was concerned enough about the structure to cancel rooftop parking. more »
- Agnico-Eagle worker found alive after blizzard
- A worker missing from Agnico-Eagle's Meliadine camp near Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, was found alive late Thursday night, after weathering a potentially record-breaking blizzard. more »
- LCBO strike threat off after deal reached
- The prospect of a Victoria Day weekend liquor store strike in Ontario has been taken off the shelf after a deal was reached late Thursday night between the LCBO and its unionized workers. more »
Top News Headlines
- Spectator killed at Edmonton Jeep event
- A 20-year-old woman died Saturday during an event for Jeep enthusiasts held in a parking lot just west of downtown Edmonton. more »
- Rescue attempt over for New Brunswick fishermen
- The rescue attempt for two missing fishermen has been called off in New Brunswick, hours after one body was found. more »
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield adjusts to 'earthling' life
- Canada's space ambassador, Chris Hadfield, is still readapting to life on this planet after spending 146 days in zero gravity as commander of the International Space Station. For now, though, he's taking his homecoming one step at a time. more »
- Afghan legislators block law protecting women
- An Afghan legislator says conservative lawmakers have blocked approval of a law that aims to protect women's freedoms, saying parts of it violate Islamic principles. more »