Woman dies after Kapuskasing apartment fire
While evacuating building, emergency crews found unresponsive woman in her apartment
Posted: Feb 5, 2013 8:25 AM ET
Last Updated: Feb 5, 2013 8:21 AM ET
A 65 year old woman is dead after a fire at an apartment complex in Kapuskasing Monday morning.
Provincial Police said officers responded to the fire call close to 10:30 a.m. and helped to evacuate more than 40 people from the building. The localized fire was put out quickly by the building’s sprinkler system.
During the evacuation, emergency personnel found an unresponsive woman in her apartment and immediately started CPR.
The woman was later taken to the Sensenbrenner hospital in Kapuskasing by ambulance, where she was pronounced dead.
The cause of the fire and the cause of death are, at this point, unknown.
Police are investigating with the help of the Ontario Fire Marshal.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Rising water levels keeps Wawa residents on alert
- People in Wawa are keeping a close eye on the skies today now that a flood warning is in effect for the Michipicoten River watershed. more »
- Avoid tragedy with working CO detector: fire official
- As more Sudbury area residents head out to recreational properties this time of year, the Greater Sudbury Fire Services says failing to have a working carbon monoxide detector at camp could result in tragedy. more »
- Redefining 'local' food sits well with Sudbury advocate
- The head of a local food co-operative in Sudbury is glad to hear the federal government is changing the way it defines local food. more »
- Hwy 69 blasting to slow drivers south of Sudbury
- Blasting along Highway 69 could cause traffic delays this summer as work crews begin to widen another 28 km of highway to four lanes. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- Mayor Ford stays silent while his brother defends him
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford continues to stonewall the media over allegations that he was recorded on video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine, but his brother Coun. Doug Ford told reporters Wednesday that the story is untrue. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Obama to visit Oklahoma following deadly tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »