Vale aims to 'minimize' worker layoffs at smelter
Posted: Jan 10, 2013 3:52 PM ET
Last Updated: Jan 10, 2013 3:50 PM ET
Changes are coming to Sudbury nickel miner Vale as its Copper Cliff smelter moves from a two-furnace operation to a single-furnace operation.
"We do expect that, over the next several years there will be fewer jobs in the smelter complex with a change to a single furnace," said Vale spokesperson Angie Robson in an email to CBC News.
But the change has members of United Steelworkers Local Local 6500 concerned, including President Rick Bertrand.
"Members aren't happy about it," he said. "I mean, whoever works at the smelter is concerned."
Robson said the new plan involves minimal short-term adjustments to Sudbury mine production.
"We're going to try as best we can to minimize impacts to our people through retirement and attrition and re-assignments to other operations," she said.
"A team has been formed to study the various aspects associated with this change and, over the next year, this team is tasked with putting together revised plans for a single furnace operation."
The furnace won't be shut down until 2016. No jobs have been lost so far as a result of this pending change.
Robson said Vale's current and future mine plans in Ontario do not support a two-furnace operation.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Proposed Sudbury smoking ban goes 'too far'
- A proposed smoking ban that could include outdoor restaurant patios in Greater Sudbury has some bar owners and customers worried. more »
- Hoarders 'make themselves homeless'
- It may seem like a surreal situation on television shows, but hoarding is very much a reality for dozens of people in northeastern Ontario. more »
- Few students staying on for fifth year of high school
- It's been 10 years since the province ended Grade 13 in Ontario, but in September, some high school students will still be opting for homerooms instead of dorm-rooms. more »
- PC attack ad links Wynne, McGuinty in power plant affair
- The Ontario legislature may have adjourned for the summer holidays, but the Progressive Conservatives aren't taking any breaks from hammering the Liberals, rolling out a new attack ad this week. more »
Top News Headlines
- Quebec premier says Montreal mayor should resign
- Quebec Premier Pauline Marois says Montreal Mayor Michael Applebaum should step down following his arrest this morning. more »
- Canadians jailed after Dominican post-wedding fight released
- Two Canadian men imprisoned in the Dominican Republic following a post-wedding brawl last month have been released and will be returning to Canada, a family member says. more »
- Northern Gateway in Canadians' interest, Enbridge tells review board
- Canada will be vulnerable to economic disaster should the Northern Gateway pipeline be rejected, the proponent told a federal review panel Monday as the final phase of public hearings got underway. more »
- MPs weigh in on Justin Trudeau charging speaking fees
- The New Brunswick charity that asked Liberal leader Justin Trudeau to return a speaking fee eight months after he appeared at a fundraiser has sparked a debate among MPs about the propriety of accepting money for what some say MPs should do for free. more »