2 Ontario men charged in wild game sausage theft
Suspect found wearing blood-stained clothes, cooking sausage
The Canadian Press
Posted: Jan 3, 2013 3:11 PM ET
Last Updated: Jan 3, 2013 5:26 PM ET
Fresh charges have been laid after police say a northern Ontario man was hit in the face and had his package of wild game sausages stolen.
Provincial police in Parry Sound say the man picked up the sausages Dec. 30 at a wild game dinner at the local community centre before making his way over to a Don Cherry's Sports Grill for a drink.
They say that while later walking home, the man was followed and attacked by another man who had also been at the restaurant. The packaged meat was allegedly stolen during the altercation.
Police say their investigation of the sausage incident led them to the home of a third man, who they say was wearing blood-stained clothes while cooking a sausage.
They say both men were arrested and the package of sausages was seized at the scene.
One man is charged with assault causing bodily harm and robbery and will appear in court Jan. 10. The other faces counts of possession of stolen property, robbery with violence and theft and will appear Friday.
Both are residents of Parry Sound.
Police didn't identify the man injured in the incident.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Petition looks to rename Victoria Day
- A group that includes some prominent Canadian actors, writers and politicians is calling on Prime Minister Stephen Harper to change the name of Victoria Day. more »
- Meet Ray Novak, the PM's new chief of staff
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper's new chief of staff is Ray Novak, 35. Here's a quick look at his background. more »
- Hospital's plan for temporary helipad runs into turbulence
- The Sudbury hospital's plans to build a temporary helipad just off Ramsey Lake Road met with unexpected opposition at a public meeting hosted by the hospital and air-ambulance officials Thursday night. more »
- Councillor's ward cited as unhealthiest in Sudbury
- A Sudbury city councillor said Friday he was stunned to learn his ward is one of the most unhealthy areas in Greater Sudbury. more »
Top News Headlines
- NDP wants RCMP inquiry into $90K payment to Duffy
- The NDP has asked the RCMP to launch an investigation into the $90,000 payment from the prime minister's former top aide, Nigel Wright, to Senator Mike Duffy in relation to the Senate expense scandal. more »
- Will alleged Rob Ford video overshadow Toronto casino debate?
- A debate about a proposed downtown casino is supposed to take centre stage at Toronto City Hall on Tuesday, but it seems a safe bet that a still-unseen video of Mayor Rob Ford will continue to be a topic of conversation. more »
- Canadian on EI shut out amid foreign worker influx
- A jobless Canadian IT professional who is collecting employment insurance is upset because he now suspects several recent jobs he applied for went to temporary foreign workers. more »
- Baseball fuels dreams, desperation in Dominican Republic
- The Toronto Blue Jays have a number of stars from the Dominican Republic, but in the shadow of these successful players is an equally important story about hope and poverty, and a country desperately struggling to balance the two. more »