Carelessness causes house fires, sends 2 to hospital
Posted: Dec 31, 2012 11:15 AM ET
Last Updated: Dec 31, 2012 11:08 AM ET
Two people were sent to hospital after a fire erupted in a Sudbury apartment building.
Early Saturday morning fire crews were called to a building on Notre Dame Avenue after a cigarette was left unattended.
George Lalonde is a platoon chief with the Greater Sudbury Fire Services and said the blaze caused $5,000 in damages.
"The apartment was very heavily charged with smoke. Two occupants were taken out of the residence and brought to health sciences north for observation for smoke inhalation," said Lalonde.
Hours later Sudbury fire services were called to another home engulfed in flames.
Lalonde says that fire also could have been prevented.
"Damage is estimated at $100,000 and it was careless use of a coal-oil lamp," said Lalonde.
Lalonde said these fires are a reminder to never leave candles or cigarettes unattended.
Two families are temporarily homeless and currently staying with friends, according to Lalonde.
Both units were not completely destroyed, Lalonde said, but are severely damaged.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Manager of collapsed Ontario mall admits lying to tenants
- The inquiry into the deadly collapse of the roof at Algo Centre mall in Elliot Lake, Ont., hears about altered documents and questionable repairs to the structure in the years leading up to the June 2012 tragedy. more »
- Hudak disappointed NDP supporting Liberal budget
- The leader of the Progressive Conservatives says he's disappointed the NDP have decided to support the Liberal budget. more »
- Sudbury Red Cross needs help
- The forest fire season is just around the corner and the Canadian Red Cross in Sudbury says it is preparing for what may come. more »
- 20K trees to be planted at old Sudbury mine site
- The City of Greater Sudbury is ready for another season of tree planting — and this year it is getting a significant boost. more »
Top News Headlines
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fires chief of staff
- A week after bombshell allegations that Toronto Mayor Rob ford was videotaped smoking crack, the mayor's chief of staff was fired and Ford is continuing to stonewall reporters. more »
- Federal Court won't remove MPs over robocall allegations
- The Federal Court says it won't throw six MPs out of seats over allegations of widespread vote suppression through automated robocalls in the 2011 federal election. more »
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- Canada Post campaigns against 'no flyers' mailbox signs
- Canada Post has been mailing more than 900,000 letters across the country to people to try to convince them to remove "no flyer" signs from their mailboxes. more »