McGuinty floats locked-door policy for Ontario schools
Posted: Dec 20, 2012 12:55 PM ET
Last Updated: Dec 20, 2012 6:08 PM ET
The Ontario government will commit $10 million to implement a "locked-door policy" for elementary schools while students are in class, says Premier Dalton McGuinty.
McGuinty announced the new funding at a Thursday news conference at a Catholic elementary school in Toronto. He said the provincial government is acting to ensure the safety of all students in the wake of last week's deadly school shooting in Newtown, Conn., that claimed the lives of 20 young children and six adults.
McGuinty said he wants elementary schools by September to lock their doors when classes are in session. He also said that the government is expanding and reopening the Safe Welcome Program, which provides schools with funding to install security systems like locking doors, buzzers and security cameras.
About 850 of the province's 4,000 schools have already received funding under the Safe Welcome Program, which until now was closed to new funding applications.
McGuinty said the Newtown shooting prompted him to question whether the provincial government was doing all it could to protect children in Ontario.With files from The Canadian Press
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Petition looks to rename Victoria Day
- A group that includes some prominent Canadian actors, writers and politicians is calling on Prime Minister Stephen Harper to change the name of Victoria Day. more »
- Meet Ray Novak, the PM's new chief of staff
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper's new chief of staff is Ray Novak, 35. Here's a quick look at his background. more »
- Hospital's plan for temporary helipad runs into turbulence
- The Sudbury hospital's plans to build a temporary helipad just off Ramsey Lake Road met with unexpected opposition at a public meeting hosted by the hospital and air-ambulance officials Thursday night. more »
- Councillor's ward cited as unhealthiest in Sudbury
- A Sudbury city councillor said Friday he was stunned to learn his ward is one of the most unhealthy areas in Greater Sudbury. more »
Top News Headlines
- Unknown remains found on Dellen Millard's farm
- Police searching the farm of Dellen Millard, the 27-year-old charged with first-degree murder after the remains of Ancaster, Ont., man Tim Bosma were discovered, have found other remains on the property, but it's unclear if they are human or animal. more »
- Canadian on EI shut out amid foreign worker influx
- A jobless Canadian IT professional who is collecting employment insurance is upset because he now suspects several recent jobs he applied for went to temporary foreign workers. more »
- Can the Senate fire a senator?
- An expert on parliamentary rules says the Senate has the power to turf a senator from the chamber, as long as a majority approves the expulsion, and as long as there is cause. more »
- Nahlah Ayed: Vote-wary Iranians mull Ahmadinejad's successor
- Iranians go to the polls in less than four weeks to choose a new president. The reform movement is still smarting from its bitter defeat four years ago, but the jockeying for power is no less intense, Nahlah Ayed reports. more »
- Edmonton boy, 2, killed after car hits patio
- A two-year-old boy is dead after a car smashed into a patio at a south Edmonton restaurant Sunday night. more »