Horse racing fans take in final laps at Sudbury Downs
Horse racing industry has uncertain future after cancellation of slots-at-racetracks program
Posted: Nov 26, 2012 3:57 PM ET
Last Updated: Nov 26, 2012 3:51 PM ET
It was a nostalgic weekend for horse racing fans in Sudbury when the final race of the season took place at Sudbury Downs.
The final race may also mark the end of a 38-year history of horse racing in the city, after the province ended its slots-at-racetracks program in March. The racing industry said the future is uncertain without that money to support those racing purses.
The Ontario Lottery and Gaming said the move is part of a modernization of the gaming industry.
Several hundred people packed the grandstand for the final races, including Mary Crowder, who came with her family to take in the final race night.
“I'm not a big gambler but we come out maybe once a year, just as a fun thing to do,” she said.
“And they are beautiful ... even if you are not a gambler just to appreciate the beauty of the horses.”
About 100 people who work at the track are expected to be out of a job if there's no racing next season.
The province said new jobs will be created in new casinos around the province.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Petition looks to rename Victoria Day
- A group that includes some prominent Canadian actors, writers and politicians is calling on Prime Minister Stephen Harper to change the name of Victoria Day. more »
- Meet Ray Novak, the PM's new chief of staff
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper's new chief of staff is Ray Novak, 35. Here's a quick look at his background. more »
- Hospital's plan for temporary helipad runs into turbulence
- The Sudbury hospital's plans to build a temporary helipad just off Ramsey Lake Road met with unexpected opposition at a public meeting hosted by the hospital and air-ambulance officials Thursday night. more »
- Councillor's ward cited as unhealthiest in Sudbury
- A Sudbury city councillor said Friday he was stunned to learn his ward is one of the most unhealthy areas in Greater Sudbury. more »
Top News Headlines
- NDP wants RCMP inquiry into $90K payment to Duffy
- The NDP has asked the RCMP to launch an investigation into the $90,000 payment from the prime minister's former top aide, Nigel Wright, to Senator Mike Duffy in relation to the Senate expense scandal. more »
- Will alleged Rob Ford video overshadow Toronto casino debate?
- A debate about a proposed downtown casino is supposed to take centre stage at Toronto City Hall on Tuesday, but it seems a safe bet that a still-unseen video of Mayor Rob Ford will continue to be a topic of conversation. more »
- Canadian on EI shut out amid foreign worker influx
- A jobless Canadian IT professional who is collecting employment insurance is upset because he now suspects several recent jobs he applied for went to temporary foreign workers. more »
- Baseball fuels dreams, desperation in Dominican Republic
- The Toronto Blue Jays have a number of stars from the Dominican Republic, but in the shadow of these successful players is an equally important story about hope and poverty, and a country desperately struggling to balance the two. more »