Ombudsman's office 'drama we don't need'
Sudbury councillors urge city to consider dumping Ombudsman as official investigator
Posted: Nov 22, 2012 7:52 AM ET
Last Updated: Nov 22, 2012 11:44 AM ET
When Ontario's Ombudsman makes his much anticipated visit to Sudbury city council next month, it could feel a bit like a job interview.
Following a recent tiff between councillors and Andre Marin — when he called them the most uncooperative group he had ever dealt with and accused them of political gymnastics — some councillors are thinking about dumping the Ombudsman as Greater Sudbury's official investigator.
Back in January 2011, Sudbury city council selected the Ombudsman's office over other organizations to be the city's third-party investigator for the next four years.Sudbury city councillor Frances Caldarelli (CBC)
Councillor Frances Caldarelli was the lone vote against hiring the Ombudsman last year, and this week she urged her fellow councillors to end his contract with Greater Sudbury.
"I think there's a lot of drama out of the Ombudsman's office and I think it's drama we don't need,” she said.
"I certainly hope that council will at some point consider getting rid of the drama."
Several other councillors echoed Caldarelli's sentiments, including Councillor Terry Kett, who didn't like the spectre of an Ombudsman investigation hanging over the discussion about a private training session.
"I think the intrusion of the Ombudsman into our process here has just ruined it,” he said. “It's as simple as that."
This should all make for an interesting evening Dec. 11, when Marin comes to educate Sudbury city councillors about the rules surrounding private meetings.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Proposed Sudbury smoking ban goes 'too far'
- A proposed smoking ban that could include outdoor restaurant patios in Greater Sudbury has some bar owners and customers worried. more »
- Hoarders 'make themselves homeless'
- It may seem like a surreal situation on television shows, but hoarding is very much a reality for dozens of people in northeastern Ontario. more »
- Few students staying on for fifth year of high school
- It's been 10 years since the province ended Grade 13 in Ontario, but in September, some high school students will still be opting for homerooms instead of dorm-rooms. more »
- PC attack ad links Wynne, McGuinty in power plant affair
- The Ontario legislature may have adjourned for the summer holidays, but the Progressive Conservatives aren't taking any breaks from hammering the Liberals, rolling out a new attack ad this week. more »
Top News Headlines
- Quebec premier says Montreal mayor should resign
- Quebec Premier Pauline Marois says Montreal Mayor Michael Applebaum should step down following his arrest this morning. more »
- Canadians jailed after Dominican post-wedding fight released
- Two Canadian men imprisoned in the Dominican Republic following a post-wedding brawl last month have been released and will be returning to Canada, a family member says. more »
- Northern Gateway in Canadians' interest, Enbridge tells review board
- Canada will be vulnerable to economic disaster should the Northern Gateway pipeline be rejected, the proponent told a federal review panel Monday as the final phase of public hearings got underway. more »
- MPs weigh in on Justin Trudeau charging speaking fees
- The New Brunswick charity that asked Liberal leader Justin Trudeau to return a speaking fee eight months after he appeared at a fundraiser has sparked a debate among MPs about the propriety of accepting money for what some say MPs should do for free. more »