Case against Vale to be heard by criminal court judge
Posted: Aug 14, 2012 2:44 PM ET
Last Updated: Aug 14, 2012 2:26 PM ET
A case involving Nickel mining giant Vale and one of its employees has been adjourned until Sept. 12.
The Ministry of Labour requested the case be transferred to criminal court so that it could be heard by a judge rather than a justice of the peace. The change will not make a difference in terms of the charges or outcome.
The company has been charged with nine offences under the province's Occupational Health and Safety Act and Vale staff superintendent Keith Birnie has been charged with six counts under the same act.
The charges are in connection with the death of two employees at Stobie Mine last year — Jason Chenier and Jordan Fram — who were buried by a run of loose rock and muck.
Local lawyer Mac Sinclair spoke on behalf of the counsel for Vale and Birnie, both of whom will be represented by Toronto-based lawyers when the trial begins.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Proposed Sudbury smoking ban goes 'too far'
- A proposed smoking ban that could include outdoor restaurant patios in Greater Sudbury has some bar owners and customers worried. more »
- Hoarders 'make themselves homeless'
- It may seem like a surreal situation on television shows, but hoarding is very much a reality for dozens of people in northeastern Ontario. more »
- Few students staying on for fifth year of high school
- It's been 10 years since the province ended Grade 13 in Ontario, but in September, some high school students will still be opting for homerooms instead of dorm-rooms. more »
- PC attack ad links Wynne, McGuinty in power plant affair
- The Ontario legislature may have adjourned for the summer holidays, but the Progressive Conservatives aren't taking any breaks from hammering the Liberals, rolling out a new attack ad this week. more »
Top News Headlines
- Quebec premier says Montreal mayor should resign
- Quebec Premier Pauline Marois says Montreal Mayor Michael Applebaum should step down following his arrest this morning. more »
- Canadians jailed after Dominican post-wedding fight released
- Two Canadian men imprisoned in the Dominican Republic following a post-wedding brawl last month have been released and will be returning to Canada, a family member says. more »
- Northern Gateway in Canadians' interest, Enbridge tells review board
- Canada will be vulnerable to economic disaster should the Northern Gateway pipeline be rejected, the proponent told a federal review panel Monday as the final phase of public hearings got underway. more »
- MPs weigh in on Justin Trudeau charging speaking fees
- The New Brunswick charity that asked Liberal leader Justin Trudeau to return a speaking fee eight months after he appeared at a fundraiser has sparked a debate among MPs about the propriety of accepting money for what some say MPs should do for free. more »