Fire engulfs school board building in Schumacher
Posted: Jul 6, 2012 7:45 AM ET
Last Updated: Jul 6, 2012 8:40 AM ET
Fire officials in Timmins say a school board building fire in the Schumacher area has all but completely destroyed that building.
Timmins Deputy Fire Chief Gerry Sabourin said crews responded to the call at the English District School Board Ontario North East at about 3:20 a.m. Friday on Croatia Avenue.
No injuries have been reported.
More than 40 firefighters remain on the scene and the cause of the fire is now under investigation. The Ontario Fire Marshal has been called in.
Sabourin warned there will be a significant amount of smoke as a result of the fire today. People are being asked to stay away from the area.
Latest Sudbury News Headlines
- Rising water levels keeps Wawa residents on alert
- People in Wawa are keeping a close eye on the skies today now that a flood warning is in effect for the Michipicoten River watershed. more »
- Avoid tragedy with working CO detector: fire official
- As more Sudbury area residents head out to recreational properties this time of year, the Greater Sudbury Fire Services says failing to have a working carbon monoxide detector at camp could result in tragedy. more »
- Redefining 'local' food sits well with Sudbury advocate
- The head of a local food co-operative in Sudbury is glad to hear the federal government is changing the way it defines local food. more »
- Hwy 69 blasting to slow drivers south of Sudbury
- Blasting along Highway 69 could cause traffic delays this summer as work crews begin to widen another 28 km of highway to four lanes. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- 2 infants confirmed among dead of Oklahoma tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of 10 children. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Senators' Alfredsson on defeating Penguins: 'Probably not'
- The Pittsburgh Penguins scored four times in the third period and six unanswered goals in all to blow out the Ottawa Senators 7-3 and take a 3-1 lead in their Eastern Conference semi-final series. more »