Following the floods this month, some people in Sault Ste. Marie might be eligible for some financial help.
Sault Ste. Marie city council passed a resolution Tuesday night asking the province to declare the city a "disaster area.”
The designation, if granted, will allow the city to qualify for special disaster relief money to fix municipal infrastructure. But it also allows the city to apply for provincial help on behalf certain small businesses, non-profits, farms and families that qualify.
Private losses and damage costs that are not eligible under Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program include:
- Losses covered by insurance.
- Insurance deductibles.
- Secondary residences, e.g. cottages.
- Non-essential furniture, i.e. stereos, recreation room furniture.
- Landscaping, fencing, driveways and retaining walls.
- Recreation vehicles, i.e. boats, snowmobiles.
- Antiques and collections.
- Loss of revenue or wages.
- Losses recoverable by law.
And for low-income home owners in the Sault, the Sault Ste. Marie District Social Services Administration Board has set aside $250,000 to help home owners living below a certain income threshold to make emergency repairs up to $5,000.
Funding allocated by the board will follow the same eligibility criteria as the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing's Investment in Affordable Housing program emergency application procedure.
The eligibility criteria is:
- Total annual household income less than $69,600.00.
- MPAC home value assessment less than $164,034.00.
- Reside in the Sault Ste. Marie District Social Services Administration Board service area.
- Repairs will only be completed to a primary residence.
- The repair must be necessary to maintain the safety of the home and the health of its residents and be regarded as an emergency.
- Home repairs are required to retain the individual in the home.
- Confirmation that home insurance coverage is not available.
People are asked to contact the city of Sault Ste. Marie for more information at 705.759.5343 or email@example.com.