Nicole Belair, fatal fire victim, was 'impossible to forget'
Children's Aid Society worker, 33, was killed in Hanmer apartment building blaze
The co-workers of a woman killed in an apartment building fire on Monday are already thinking of ways to pay tribute to her.
Nicole Belair, a 33-year-old child protection worker, was visiting a client at an apartment in the Hanmer area of Sudbury when a fire broke out. Belair was found unconscious on the second floor and did not survive.
“We will find a way for us to remember Nicole. Actually, [it] would be impossible for us to forget her,” she said.
“But we will do something that will honour Nicole in a way that really anchored her in this community.”
Prevost said Belair was the kind of employee who made a difference in the lives of her clients.
“She was a very endearing person, someone who engaged you once you first knew her, and she will be sorely, sorely missed.”
Belair's funeral will be held on Monday.
Reports of explosion
A second victim in the fire — a 59-year-old woman — is in a Toronto hospital suffering from burns to her head and torso.
James Allan said a tenant of the apartment where the fire began was using oxygen tanks.
Investigators have seized those, and are following up reports of an explosion.
“We have indications from witnesses of hearing a bang, so we are investigating witness statements,” he said.