Carelessness causes house fires, sends 2 to hospital

Two people were sent to hospital after two separate residential fires in Sudbury on Saturday.

Two people were sent to hospital after a fire erupted in a Sudbury apartment building.

Early Saturday morning fire crews were called to a building on Notre Dame Avenue after a cigarette was left unattended.

George Lalonde is a platoon chief with the Greater Sudbury Fire Services and said the blaze caused $5,000 in damages.

"The apartment was very heavily charged with smoke. Two occupants were taken out of the residence and brought to health sciences north for observation for smoke inhalation," said Lalonde.

Hours later Sudbury fire services were called to another home engulfed in flames.

Lalonde says that fire also could have been prevented.

"Damage is estimated at $100,000 and it was careless use of a coal-oil lamp," said Lalonde.

Lalonde said these fires are a reminder to never leave candles or cigarettes unattended.

Two families are temporarily homeless and currently staying with friends, according to Lalonde.

Both units were not completely destroyed, Lalonde said, but are severely damaged.