A deadly house fire claimed the life of a 36-year-old woman Friday in North Battleford.

The North Battleford Fire Department responded to the fire shortly before 4 p.m. CST on Friday afternoon. Upon arrival they found a four-year-old had escaped the home unharmed.

Inside the home they found the woman unconscious in a hallway and a three-year-old toddler unconscious in a bedroom. 

Deputy Chief Kevin Steinborn said his crews were able to retrieve everyone from the home in less than six minutes. 

“Firefighters immediately conducted an aggressive interior attack in the kitchen,” Steinborn said.

The woman died, although the exact cause of death will not be determined until an autopsy is performed.

The three-year-old is in critical condition at Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon. The four-year-old who escaped is reported to be in stable condition. Their names have not been released. 

Fire crews said the fire started when the wiring in the home's stove shorted, starting a fire.