Saskatoon landlord sued over fatal fourplex fire
Tenants suing landlord Jack Grover for negligence
Six tenants living in a Saskatoon fourplex where fire broke out early last year are suing their landlord Jack Grover for negligence.
The blaze happened at about 3 a.m. CST on January 12, 2012.
It claimed the life of Daniel Shepherdson, and his executor is among the plaintiffs. Together the plaintiffs are claiming damages of more than $1.5 million.
In a court-filed document they allege Grover failed to provide basement tenants with a kitchen, and instead gave them hot-plates to use in their rooms. The plaintiffs also allege they raised concerns to Grover about the condition of the building, prior to the fire breaking out.
Among those concerns —"the removal of batteries from the smoke alarms, rendering them inoperative", and failure to remove garbage and debris from the building "in an efficient manner".
They also allege Grover failed to safeguard their belongings after the fire and that several items went missing.
The allegations remain to be proven in court.
Meanwhile, a charge of criminal negligence causing death in connection with the fire has been stayed.
Aaron Daniel Pittner was to stand trial on allegations he tampered with a smoke detector and left a hot plate unattended.
Pittner was also a tenant in the fourplex.