Notifications

Saskatoon garbage truck set on fire by smouldering trash

A flaming garbage truck has Saskatoon firefighters warning the public to check their trash.

Firefighters warn people to check refuse before throwing in bin

A Saskatoon firefighter sprays water on a flaming garbage truck. (Saskatoon Fire Department)

A flaming garbage truck has Saskatoon firefighters warning the public to check their trash.

Yesterday, smouldering garbage caused a fire inside the truck on 22nd Street W. and Avenue P. Luckily, there wasn't much garbage in the truck, and it wasn't damaged.

Firefighters are urging people to never throw flammable or explosive items into their black garbage bins.

People are also warned to make sure any cigarette butts are completely extinguished and any ashes from fire pits or fireplaces are completely extinguished with water.

Waste wood and drywall is also prohibited from being thrown out.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.