Saskatoon condo residents return to suites after gas leak
Ruptured gas line in 1400 block of 20th Street from backup generator
Saskatoon residents have been allowed to return back to their apartments after a condominium in the city's west end was evacuated due to a ruptured natural gas line.
Emergency crews responded to the building at 1416 20th Street at about 8:40 p.m. CST.
People from the condo's 44 suites were moved to St. Mary's Church near by.
Firefighters determined a Bobcat clearing snow in the area severed a service line supplying gas to the condo's backup generator.
Crews did testing for natural gas levels in the building and the adjacent properties.
SaskEnergy was called in to asses the damage.
Company officials say the main gas service to the condo has not been affected meaning the building will continue to have heat as usual.
The gas service to the backup generator will remain shut off overnight, with repairs to take place in the morning.
SaskEnergy wants to remind people doing snow removal this winter to make sure they are aware of all the above ground natural gas lines in their area.
Police had initially shut down traffic on 20th Street between Avenue P and Avenue N and on Avenue O between 20th and 21st Streets.
All streets have now been reopened and traffic is back to normal.