Douglas Hales is on trial in Saskatoon, accused of first-degree murder in the death of Daleen Bosse. (CBC)

An RCMP officer told a court Wednesday about how he pretended to be a repo man associated with organized crime in an effort to coax a confession from Douglas Hales, the ex-bouncer accused of murder in the death of Daleen Bosse.

Court has already heard about how Bosse went missing ten years ago and that her last confirmed whereabouts were at a bar in Saskatoon where Hales worked.

Police found Bosse's remains in a landfill area north of Saskatoon in August of 2008. Hales, who police described as a long-time suspect, was charged shortly after that.

During the trial Wednesday, the RCMP officer explained how he went to Hales posing as a repo man who needed some help. In time, the officer had Hales thinking he was some sort of a shady character. The pretense included taking Hales on road trips across the country to deliver merchandise such as electronics, firearms and diamonds to supposed clients from the criminal underworld.

The goal of the undercover operation was to convince Hales that the officer was indeed a bad guy associated with a crime ring.


Daleen Bosse was 25 when she was reported missing in 2004. Her body was discovered in 2008. (CBC)

In time, Hales was introduced to a man posing as a crime boss and persuaded to talk about Daleen Bosse. According to testimony from the officer, Hales told the crime boss that he left a Saskatoon nightclub with Bosse, in her car. After explaining that the night had not gone as expected with Bosse, Hales also spoke of where he killed and buried the woman.

The lawyer for Hales questioned the undercover officer about the inducements made to Hales and suggested the RCMP were playing off the fact that Hales wasn't working at the time.

“You knew he was unemployed. You knew he needed money,” lawyer Bob Hrycan asked the officer. “You appealed to greed, didn’t you?”

The court heard that Hales was paid almost $1,700 over the course of three months for the errands he worked on.

The trial, before Justice Gerald Allbright of Saskatoon's Court of Queen's Bench, continues.

With files from CBC's Jennifer Quesnel