Dustin Keegan Eagle was sentenced to four months in prison on Monday in Saskatoon's provincial courthouse. Eagle pleaded guilty to one count of public mischief with intent to mislead after filing a false report against members of the Saskatoon Police Service.

The formal public complaint was filed by Eagle back on Feb. 1, 2013 with the FSIN special investigative unit. This led to an investigation conducted by the Saskatoon Police Service and the Public Complaints Commission.

At the time, Eagle claimed two police officers had picked him up, took him out of town, removed his shoes and coat, and made him walk back into the city.

Saskatoon Police Chief Clive Weighill

Saskatoon Police Chief Clive Weighill says false claims like Eagle's takes a toll on the morale of the police force. (CBC)

"In our city, we've worked hard over the last decade to build trust within the aboriginal community," said Saskatoon Police Chief Clive Weighwill. "So whenever an allegation like this comes forth, we take it very seriously."

According to Weighill, hundreds of hours were spent going through GPS data, videos and gathering statements from people who may or may not have been involved, trying to come to a conclusion.

He said, in the end , Eagle was found to be on a bus coming back from the Dakota Dunes Casino during the time of his claims.

Weighill said he does feel some sympathy for Eagle, but false allegations like these are really hard on the morale amongst the city's police officers.

"When somebody makes an allegation such as this, some people in the community are quick to make a snap decision on what the police are doing," said Weighill.      

And although Eagle was caught in a lie, Weighill says this doesn't change how any other future complaints will be treated.

"There's one thing I always say to the public," said Weighill. "I can't guarantee what happens every night on the streets of Saskatoon, but I can guarantee that when a complaint comes forward, it will get investigated thoroughly."