The Saskatoon man at the centre of an international abduction has more than one family, CBC News has learned.

The 47-year-old is charged with allegedly kidnapping the daughter he had with a Brazilian woman, Oziene Barbosa.

While this has unfolded, he has lived quietly for the past three years on a tidy west-side street -- with his Japanese-born wife and four children.

Neighbours were first aware of the unfolding drama when police were seen leaving the two-storey with boxes of documents last week.

Accused's west-side home

Accused lived here for three years with his family. (CBC)

‚ÄčThe man is now in custody charged with child abduction. He appeared in court today and will stay in custody until at least next Thursday. That's when a judge will be done reviewing a report on his suitability for bail..

On a website giving a family history, he describes how he married a woman from Japan he met in 1993 and that they have four children. It says that he first moved to Saskatoon in 1982.

The story broke Tuesday with a Saskatoon police news release about a four-country investigation and the abduction charge.

A 25-year-old Brazilian woman, Oziene Vieira Barbosa, had reported that the Saskatoon man had abducted their daughter in June when the three were in Ukraine.

She went public in Brazilian media with her story, pleading for the return of her daughter. 

Barbosa said she had originally met the man online and that she became pregnant when he travelled through Brazil. On a return trip, he convinced her to come to Ukraine. That's when he allegedly took the little girl.

'"On June 27, the man said he would buy milk and took his daughter with him, not returning.'- Oziene Barbosa

Both Barbosa and the man have Facebook pages. The alleged abduction played out on the social media site with the man posting photos of himself with the little girl.

In several posts, he ridicules the Brazilian police and government.

The Saskatoon police became involved in the case in August when they were contacted by Saskatchewan Justice.

They arrested and charged the 47-year-old man on Friday. 

Police say the man took the little girl to the Philippines, where she was cared for by another person. The girl is now in the care of Social Services in that country.

Brazilian media were reporting this morning that Barbosa is preparing to travel to Philippines to be re-united with her daughter.