A Regina-based building inspector said that faulty construction is likely to blame for the collapse of the house deck last weekend in St. Denis, Sask. that sent six people to hospital.
Jim Nichols told host of Saskatoon Morning Leisha Grebinski that something must have got missed during inspection.
"There are supposed to be inspections that take place during the construction," he said. "Those are the reasons why we have to get permits for our platforms and our decks."
Nichols also has a warning about do-it-yourself deck projects. He advised homeowners to get a building permit so the structure will be inspected and any faulty construction will hopefully be caught.