Douglas Hales trial in Daleen Bosse murder continues

Day three in the trial of a man charged with a 2004 murder in Saskatoon began today.
Douglas Hales arrives at court in Saskatoon on May 5. (Albert Couillard/CBC)
Testimony continued today in the trial of a man accused of first degree murder of a Saskatoon wife and mother. 

Douglas Hales is charged with killing Daleen Kay Bosse a decade ago. She was last seen at Jax Nightclub in Saskatoon.

Daleen Bosse went missing in 2004. (CBC)
​Members of Bosse's family have said they had a hard time getting the authorities to take her disappearance seriously. They made several attempts to find her car. They searched streets and parkades and reported it stolen, family said. 

Today the court heard how Bosse's husband Jeremiah found their white Cavalier two months after Daleen's disappearance. It was found parked on 117th Street in Sutherland. Bosse told the court he noticed the front seat was pushed back, aftermarket seat covers and floor mats were missing and a steering wheel cover had been removed. 

Bosse told the court Daleen was in good spirits the night of her disappearance. By late afternoon, she told him she was going out with friends, and he stayed up late, expecting she'd return to their east-side home by midnight.

It was the last time he'd ever see her.

When she didn't turn up the next day, Bosse started to worry. By 11 p.m. the next evening he phoned police to report her missing.

Bosse's family eventually hired a private investigator to look for her.

The court was shown posters that friends and family created and posted up all over the city. Her mother, Pauline Muskego, organized an annual walk from her Onion Lake home to Saskatoon to draw attention to the case.

The family also spoke to police, politicians and media to keep her disappearance in the public eye.

During cross-examination by defence lawyer Bob Hrycan, Bosse's husband said his wife had been taking antidepressants to help her deal with a miscarriage a few months earlier. Bosse's husband said she occasionally went out and drank, sometimes heavily.

A suspect from the start

Police found Bosse's remains in a landfill area north of Saskatoon in August of 2008.

Shortly after that discovery, they charged Douglas Hales with first-degree murder and interfering with a dead body. After Hales' arrest, Saskatoon police chief Clive Weighill said investigators were aware of Hales since Bosse first went missing.

"He was one of the last people that was known to have been with Ms. Bosse before her disappearance," he said.

Hales worked as a doorman at the club where Bosse was last seen. His trial continues at Saskatoon's Court of Queen's Bench.