CO alarm leads to guinea pig rescue

A carbon monoxide detector is winning praise from fire officials in Saskatoon, where crews responded Monday morning to an alarm and found "dangerously high" levels of the gas in a home on Cooper Crescent.

A carbon monoxide detector is winning praise from fire officials in Saskatoon, where crews responded Monday morning to an alarm and found "dangerously high" levels of the gas in a home on Cooper Crescent.

Fire officials said the lone human occupant of the the home was already safely outside when crews arrived.

Firefighters checked the home to find CO levels of 503 PPM (parts per million) which they consider “dangerously high”.

The home's natural gas service was turned off and ventilation of home was done.

The firefighters also learned that some pet guinea pigs were still inside and crews donned protective gear to retrieve the animals, which were unharmed.

Officials noted the CO monitor in the home had just recently been installed and its prompt activation may well have saved lives.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.