A 19-year-old man has been charged with 2nd-degree murder in relation to the death of Jonathen Livingston Moosewaypayo, who died of stabbing injuries on New Year's Day, Saskatoon's first homicide of 2013.
Police in Saskatoon announced the charge on Wednesday but did not release the name of the person accused.
They said he will appear in provincial court on Thursday.
Police noted the accused was 18 at the time of Moosewaypayo's death.
According to police, the victim had been stabbed and was found outside a residence in the 100 block of Avenue O South at approximately 12:30 a.m. CST on Jan. 1.
He was taken to Royal University Hospital where he died of his injuries.
Police said the man accused in the case was arrested at the Saskatoon Provincial Correctional Centre where he was being held on charges relating to another incident, also on Jan. 1, when two males, aged 17 and 19, were allegedly stabbed near Avenue P and 22nd Street West.