Careless smoking deemed cause of Thursday's condo fire
36 people homeless after Saskatoon blaze
Careless smoking has been determined to be the cause of the massive condominium fire on Saskatoon's east side Thursday morning.
Saskatoon fire officials said Thursday that after all other possible causes were ruled out, the cause has been deemed careless disposal of smoking material.
Officials said the fire at 1121 McKercher Drive resulted in damages of $1.5 million to $2 million.
No one was hurt but dozens of people were temporarily left homeless.Contractors will be entering the building today to gather the residents' personal belongings. Officials said alternative accommodations will have to be found for the 36 people who were living in the building at the time.