5 online shopping safety tips for Cyber Monday
For the consumer who doesn't like crowds and avoided Black Friday, there's a sale for them. It's called Cyber Monday. Many retailers are offering discounts if you shop online today, but there's a few things to keep in mind.
Here are five tips for a safe online shopping experience:
- Bookmark reliable online shopping sites: Relying on search engine results can lead you to malicious sites.
- Ignore suspicious offers via email: Three out of four spam attachments are malicious in nature. These emails may contain malicious links or file attachments that lead to system infection.
- Verify unbelievable offers: Spam and online ads offering unbelievable promos and discounts can lead to web threats.
- Double check payment site URLs: Phishers trick users into giving out personal information using fake pages. Be careful, two of the most commonly phished sites are eBay and Paypal.
- After you have made your purchase, check your billing statements to monitor transactions: Immediately report any discrepancy to your bank.
(Source: Trend Micro)