A problem-plagued youth facility on the Muskowekwan First Nation in central Saskatchewan has reopened its doors three months after children were removed from the home.

In February, a provincial review found theFour Directions temporary group home on the reserve, about 140 kilometres northeast of Regina, was not meeting basic standards of care.

There was no proper schooling and the youngsters, ages 12 to 15, spent a lot of their time watching TV.

Staff also had trouble coping with bad behaviour, the review found. There were allegations of physical mistreatment and complaints thatstaff were lazy, disrespectful and too quick to punish, according tothe government's report.

Since then, changes have been made and Saskatchewan has spent $400,000 retraining the staff. About 70 people work there in full- and part-time jobs.

Now, as of July, children are back.

Raymond Shingoose, one of the people in charge of the home, said Tuesday that some of the problems were related to communications with government officials.

"I think a lot of it had to do with a lot of misunderstanding," he said. "I think we've addressed all issues and concerns with Four Directions."

Community Resources Minister Kevin Yates said the government would keep an eye on the reopened home. There'll be another government review of Four Directions in the fall.

"We need to have a better working relationship with the First Nations organizations that are delivering these services," he said.