Teens recant attempted abduction claim, RCMP says
RCMP in Wadena, Sask., say a story by two young teens that somebody tried to abduct them turned out to be bogus.
Originally, police said the boy and girl, both 13, claimed they had been walking home late Friday in Wadena when they were approached by a white SUV.
The two said they were forced to hide from a man who insisted they get into his vehicle.
Their story included allegations that the man made sexually suggestive comments to the girl and continuously yelled at them to get in, even when they ran from the vehicle.
The vehicle was described as possibly a 1990s Chevrolet Trailblazer with tinted back windows. It also made a clunking noise, according to the teens.
However, further investigation by Wadena RCMP over the weekend revealed that the story was false.
"The alleged victims have now recanted their version of events and have advised police that no one had attempted to abduct them," the RCMP said in a news release Monday.
The matter remains under investigation but not as a case of an attempted abduction. Now, it's being treated as a possible case of public mischief.
With files from Canadian Press