Suspected Saskatchewan car thieves nabbed in Manitoba
Suspects favoured pick-up trucks
A pair of suspects linked to a string of car thefts and break-ins from Kathyrn, Alberta to Oak Lake, Manitoba — and fiveSaskatchewan towns along the way — have been nabbed in Brandon, RCMP say.
The alleged crime spree came to a halt only after the suspects drove into the ditch following a brief police pursuit.
RCMP said they first noticed the suspects around 9 a.m. CST Thursday in Virden, Manitoba when they responded to a report of suspects driving a stolen vehicle from nearby Elkhorn.
Officers pursued the suspects, who were headed east on the highway out of Virden, but called off the chase when it became too dangerous. RCMP said the suspect vehicle clipped another vehicle on the highway and kept on going. No one was hurt.
The Virden RCMP officers called ahead to Brandon police, who were ready when the suspects arrived in yet another stolen vehicle, taken from the Oak Lake, Manitoba, area.
Brandon police followed the suspects through the city to the eastern edge of town where the suspects tried to overtake another vehicle on the road. They clipped the other vehicle, sending the two vehicles into a ditch.
That's when the suspects, a 42-year-old man and a 33-year-old woman, were arrested. Both are from Calgary.
RCMP said the couple are also linked to thefts of vehicles and break-ins in Milestone, Moose Jaw, Sintaluta, Wapella and Moosomin, Saskatchewan.
They are set to appear in Brandon Provincial Court on Friday.
RCMP link suspects to a trail of vehicle thefts
According to RCMP in Saskatchewan, the suspects arrested by Brandon police were also responsible for the following incidents in Saskatchewan and Alberta:
- Tuesday (New Year's Eve) - Chevrolet Silverado pick-up truck stolen from Kathryn, Alberta. (Later found in a ditch beside a road near Morse, Sask.)
- Wednesday (New Year's Day) - Dodge Ram pick-up truck stolen from Milestone, Sask. (Later found in Moose Jaw.)
- Later on Wednesday morning - Ford Escape stolen from Moose Jaw.
- Thursday (Jan. 2, 2014) - The same Ford Escape is seen attempting to ram through a gas station garage door in Sintaluta, Sask. Attempt failed. Driver speeds away, eastbound on Highway #1. (Later found abandoned on highway outside of Wapella, Sask.)
- Later on Thursday morning - Chevrolet Silverado stolen from a business in Wapella. (Later found in Moosomin, Sask.)
- Later on Thursday morning - Dodge Ram stolen from Moosomin.
The suspects continued on to Manitoba.