Norovirus ruins a Saskatchewan family's vacation
CBC News
Posted: Mar 2, 2013 7:55 PM CST
Last Updated: Mar 3, 2013 11:27 AM CST
The Hennes family while on vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. (Courtesy of Christine Hennes)
A Saskatoon woman is being treated for norovirus after taking a vacation in Mexico.
Saskatoon resident Rebecca Hennes said she has been to the hospital three times in the last week for treatment.
"I've missed out on a lot of classes and I'm really behind," Rebecca Hennes said on Friday. "I've been so sick and I've lost so much weight and I'm so weak."
Before leaving, Hennes' parents, Brian and Christine, checked out their resort in Puerto Vallarta on TripAdvisor.ca and read reviews written by people who claimed they got very sick at the hotel. The symptoms included vomiting and diarrhea. Some people believed there was a norovirus outbreak.
When the Hennes family tried to change hotels, they were told it was too late, so they went on the trip as planned. From day one, Brian Hennes said he saw signs of trouble.
"Two ambulances came and pulled the gurney out to take people to the hospital," he said. "That was a real area of concern for us. But we didn't know what was going on."
Hennes said dozens of people at the hotel were very sick and it didn't take long before he was one of them.
"I was the first one who was sick," he said. "Violently, violently sick. I've never been sick like that in my life."
Within a few days, his daughter Rebecca was also sick.
Christine Hennes said she wants the hotel closed because it is putting babies and elderly people at risk.
"I just want to save somebody's life because I really think that the potential is there for someone to die from this," she said.
As of Saturday, the hotel remained open. However, one vacation company isn't sending customers there any more. Transat Holidays told CBC they're booking people into other hotels.
Share Tools
Latest Saskatchewan News Headlines
- Cheerleading teams compete at U of R
- More than 1,000 young athletes showed off their moves at the University of Regina Cheerleading Championship Saturday. more »
- Man lying on Hwy 2 run over, killed
- RCMP are investigating a fatal collision north of Prince Albert, Sask. about one kilometre south of Christopher Lake, Sask. more »
- Hadfield tweets image of Regina from space
- People on Twitter had the opportunity to see what Regina looks like from space, after Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield shared a picture of the city. more »
- Norovirus ruins a Saskatchewan family's vacation
- A Saskatoon woman is still being treated for norovirus after taking a vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. more »
Top News Headlines
- Surrey Liberals call for B.C. Premier's resignation
- Over one hundred Liberal party members called for the resignation of B.C. Premier Christy Clark at a breakfast meeting in Surrey Sunday morning. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Pakistan bomb outside mosque kills 37
- Police say a car bomb has killed at least 37 people and wounded another 141 in a neighborhood dominated by Shia Muslims in the southern Pakistan city of Karachi. more »
- Liberal MPs Murray and Garneau challenge frontrunner Trudeau
- Liberal leadership hopefuls made a last-ditch effort to shore up support for their campaigns before tonight's midnight deadline in the fourth of five federal Liberal leadership debates in Halifax on Sunday. more »
- Norovirus ruins a Saskatchewan family's vacation
- Giant icicle must go, Saskatoon fire department says
- Man lying on Hwy 2 run over, killed
- Hadfield tweets image of Regina from space
- Freezing rain, snow expected in southern Saskatchewan
- Storm warning in southern Sask.
- Wall weighs in on motorcycle insurance controversy
- Saskatoon Blades extend winning streak to 18
- Man charged after cell phones stolen from hockey players

